Print Page | Your Cart | Sign In
CPT 2018 HBAI changes
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/25/2018 at 10:11:18 PM GMT
CPT 2018 HBAI changes

For those programs/facilities that utilize PCBH/ warm hand-offs within primary care clinics, how are you handling and billing for the 96150-96152 visits that are on the same day as physician visit? According to 2018 CPT changes, it is my understanding that HBAI codes cannot be on the same day as E&M services. Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance!

Krystle Robinson

1/30/2018 at 8:44:28 PM GMT
Krystle:

Good question. I'll post on our list serve for a potential answer to this also. I know in the past I have seen this kind of limitation for H&B codes but the infinite number of variations make remembering what you can't code hard to remember. I'll post back or have someone else post back with a reply as soon as I can.

Neftali Serrano, PsyD
Executive Director, CFHA &
Fan of All Things Integrated Care

2/21/2018 at 10:07:32 PM GMT
Krystle:

This is the reply I got back on this. Not great news but there are workarounds that many clinics have made work.

From Lesley Manson:
"Yep. You don't bill. You can do a quick introduction and plan for a visit the next day – perhaps incorporate a screening tool and bill for that or identify further complexity for the pcp to operate with medical decision making in his current visit and bill for that(?)- those are your options – other than identifying 90832 psychotherapy type concerns and bill for an 18 min appt focused on other topics.

Wish I had better news!"

From Kent Corso:
"I agree with Lesley.

For same day services, you wrap the BHC's work into the PCP's and ensure the most comprehensive level of E&M is provided. Since the coding for that is also higher than the lower E&M + HBAI, clinics often favor this way of doing it.

I try to avoid next day services. Even with a brief meet and greet with the BHC, you get some lack of pt f/u. But if the pt prefers an appt on another day, care is provided via lower E&M by PCP on one day and HBAI by BHC on another day."

Hope that helps some.

Neftali Serrano, PsyD
Executive Director, CFHA &
Fan of All Things Integrated Care

Contact Us

P. O. Box 23980,
Rochester, New York
14692-3980 USA
info@CFHA.net

What We Do

CFHA is a member-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to making integrated behavioral and physical health the standard of care nationally. CFHA achieves this by organizing the integrated care community, providing expert technical assistance and producing educational content.