Print Page | Your Cart | Sign In
What Is CFHA's Mission? Your Perspectives.
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/11/2017 at 7:31:42 PM GMT
What Is CFHA's Mission? Your Perspectives.

CFHA'ers:

The board of directors has recently started a conversation on our mission statement beginning with a reflection on the kind of language we use to describe CFHA. Now we want you to weigh in with a response. In brief (limited to 40 words or less), post here:

1. What is CFHAs mission? What should it be, in your mind?

Thanks for all your thoughts! This all part of an ongoing conversation the board is engaging in and your thoughts will help guide/ inform the process. Go!

Neftali Serrano, PsyD
Executive Director, CFHA &
Fan of All Things Integrated Care

Last edited Tuesday, December 12, 2017
12/12/2017 at 9:21:34 PM GMT
CFHA Matters Today More Than Ever

To me, CFHA is like a lighthouse that guides clinicians, managers, payers, and entire health organizations toward a better way of helping people be healthy.

Throughout its history, CFHA has promoted health care that is patient- and family-centered, interdisciplinary, and collaborative. I believe that CFHA can continue this mantra in addition to promoting research and evaluation, workforce development, and practice transformation. 

By remaining true to its history and core values while encouraging innovation in new areas, CFHA can leverage itself as a consistent champion of wholistic health care at a time when the US care system continues to seek for newer and flashier treatments.

Patients will always have families. Clinicians will always need to work together. These are two self-evident principles that CFHA should continue to promote. In addition, CFHA should continue to push for answering the unknowns in our field: how to give patients and their families what they need; how clinicians can work together more effectively; how to pay for this new system of care; etc. 

12/14/2017 at 12:04:07 AM GMT
CFHA Mission

The CFHA promotes cost-effective enhancement of clinical outcomes and patient/clinician satisfaction by improving the assessment and management of behavioral/psychological issues in primary care patients, their families and communities.  This is accomplished through education, partnering, consultation, research and advocacy.

12/14/2017 at 12:45:44 PM GMT
To promote cost effective, patient and family centered integrated care models and biopsychosocial-spiritual understanding of illness through practice, education, research, and advocacy/policy.

12/17/2017 at 10:18:15 PM GMT
CFHA mission
I think CFHA's mission should highlight how we consider patients and families as important members of the healthcare team and we honor their voices to provide the best care possible. It should also reflect our dedication to collaborate with and encourage collaboration among many contexts including: patients, family members, relevant professional disciplines, community members/organizations, and national/international stakeholders. 

12/18/2017 at 2:27:11 AM GMT
As a former President of CFHA, I recall going over this same conversation during my term (approx 7 years ago). No matter how we sliced it, CFHA offers something unique to the conversation about integrated behavioral health care, the family. Brilliant thinkers around the board table spent countless hours pouring over current literature and a member survey that brought forth support for CFHA having in its mission the word "family" and "community." When many focus on the individual/patient unit, this association brings systemic and relational depth to the conversation addressing both individual and collectivist cultural beliefs and a sincere respect for advancing the health of all people across all communities. If anything, we may be lacking language in our mission that honors culture and diversity, as well as globalization. I strongly encourage multiple methods for soliciting member feedback other than through the forum.

12/18/2017 at 5:19:09 AM GMT
CFHA Mission
I think the mission of CFHA is to bring the best integrated health care to patients and their families to promote a culture of health and well-being. This is what sets us apart from other organizations. We are trained as systemic thinkers so we don't miss important aspects of the patient's story as it relates to their health and healing. So often patients don't "get better" and it is because providers are not considering the systems in which their patients reside, their families and communities. CFHA promotes training, clinical work, and research that is integrative across disciplines (e.g., medicine, behavioral health, pharmacy, nursing, etc.) and that is systemic so that patients and their loved ones/family have the highest quality of care!   

12/18/2017 at 5:25:50 PM GMT
CFHA's Mission: A Place for Accountability

CFHA is my home for accountability.  Accountability may seem like a strange choice of words, but hear me out.  CFHA provides a foundation for me to reflect on my continuous growth and trajectory as a director of behavioral health.  The brilliant and driven founders and members of CFHA share and must continue to sustain a vision of family centered, collaborative health care.  With these values and the attention given to research and innovation, I am assured of being afforded the knowledge and support of continuing to build a comprehensive and progressive behavioral health training program.   To me, this is invaluable.  

12/21/2017 at 9:36:02 PM GMT
While many things have changed in health care since CFHCC began in 1993, others factors have had a continuous- undeniable and unwavering presence in health care. Going back to our roots, CFHA was created in order to "focus on the intersection of family function, systems thinking, and health care (McDaniel & Campbell, 1996). The new journal [FSH]and the new organization [CFHCC] recognized the importance of collaboration between health care disciplines and between any health care provider and the patients and their families." The root constructs of the organization ("Collaboration," "Family," and "Healthcare") are as essential to health as they are to healthcare models. While some members may place a greater emphasis in their own practice or research on one of these constructs over the others, the reality is that as patients- we function better/best in contexts that promote collaborative teams, incorporate the role of families, and attend to access to (or the lack thereof) as well the continuum of care in healthcare systems.

12/31/2017 at 6:33:14 PM GMT
When I stumbled upon CFHA, I knew I found a truly unique organization. It is an organization that values communication among healthcare disciplines on a team. We have to maintain that focus to allow for optimal patient care. Happy, health New Year!

Contact Us

P. O. Box 23980,
Rochester, New York
14692-3980 USA
info@CFHA.net

What We Do

CFHA is a member-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to making integrated behavioral and physical health the standard of care nationally. CFHA achieves this by organizing the integrated care community, providing expert technical assistance and producing educational content.