For Students & Early Career Professionals
A Free Workshop at the 2014 CFHA Conference for Students and Early Career Professionals
Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 1:15 to 4:00 PM
From Dissertation to Dissemination: An Interactive Writing Workshop
All writers, from Early Career Professionals to those in practice for several years, face challenges in finding the time and support necessary to develop their writing skills. This workshop will offer input from some of CFHA’s top writers about their approaches to writing and speak to the importance of disseminating one’s work, be it related to clinical, research, or policy endeavors.
Participants will be strongly encouraged to share a piece of writing with a small group of colleagues for review at this workshop. Learn more about the writing guidelines for this piece in the attached PDF
. Facilitators will support the development and enhancement of these submissions, focused on the individual learner’s needs. Participants will also receive recommendations and tools to support development of: personal writing goals, strategies to overcome barriers to writing, and creating their own writing groups. Participants are invited to push aside their barriers and fears of writing, bring a piece of their work, learn and enjoy this supportive model.Click here to download the writing guidelines for this workshop.
- Lauren DeCaporale-Ryan, PhD, Senior Instructor of Psychiatry, Medicine, & Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- Laura Sudano, MA, MFT registered intern, UCSD Family Medicine
- Colleen T. Fogarty, MD, MSc., Associate Professor, Director of Faculty Development Fellowships, Assistant Director Family Medicine Residency, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, Editor, Families, Systems and Health
- Larry Mauksch, MEd, Senior Lecturer, Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Editor, Families, Systems and Health
- Matt Martin, PhD, LMFT, Director, Applied Psychosocial Medicine, Duke/SR-AHEC
- Randall Reitz, PhD, LMFT, Director of Behavioral Sciences, St Mary's Family Medicine Residency
- Susan H McDaniel, PhD, Dr Laurie Sands Distinguished Professor of Families & Health, Director, Institute for the Family, Department of Psychiatry, Associate Chair, Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
Seating is limited! Advance registration is required!
- Identify the personal and professional barriers to writing and methods to overcome such obstacles.
- Discuss methods to improve writing style that support publication/dissemination of written work, and establish goals for future writing.
- Describe methodology to establishing a writing seminar that supports professional writing activity.
Please RSVP when you register to attend the CFHA Conference. Students and early career professionals will have first priority. Advance assignment details will be sent to registered participants in September 2014.