Print Page | Contact Us | Your Cart | Sign In
Death, Dying and Grief
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/17/2018 at 12:39:41 AM GMT
Death, Dying and Grief

Hello, I am a young therapist in Philadelphia, PA. I am learning more about medical family therapy and this organization. I am concerned about the fact that the topic of death and grief is barely mentioned in MedFT and collaborative approaches. I see a lot of focus on health and the impact of disease, but healthy grieving is certainly part of it. 

It affects providers, families and obviously patients living chronic illness. How come this group is not talking about it?  I see a few readings about resilience, which is in someways problematic because ti feels like a burden on providers, as opposed to a collective goal.

I am curious to hear more seasoned clinicians' thoughts on this. 

Guillermo Petit

Last edited Friday, February 16, 2018
2/21/2018 at 2:48:50 PM GMT

Good thoughts. I think many of us are working in primary care where death and grieving (at least about death/loss) is not an everyday occurrent - so that may be why it is not mentioned as often. That said, it might be useful for you to take a look at our blog page and search for the term (grieving and/or caregiving) and you will find some thoughts there on the subject.

You may also be interested in presenting on the topic at our annual conference?

Neftali Serrano, PsyD
Executive Director, CFHA &
Fan of All Things Integrated Care

2/21/2018 at 3:13:25 PM GMT
Thanks for the quick response, and it is a very good point; where I digress is that aim to work on end of life care, rather than primary care. It is certainly a motivation to look at how to integrate care across the board and for end-of -life/high risk settings specifically .The blog is a great resource. thanks again

Contact Us

P. O. Box 23980,
Rochester, New York
14692-3980 USA

What We Do

CFHA is a member-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to making integrated behavioral and physical health the standard of care nationally. CFHA achieves this by organizing the integrated care community, providing expert technical assistance and producing educational content.